Saturday 30 November 2019

Mom passed away

Thursday, November 28, 2019
I got a phone call from St. Michael's in the morning.  The nurse said that mom's condition was declining and that I should call the doctor.  Then, she said that she would ask the doctor to call me.  I went about my day at work.  While I was in Tai Chi, the doctor called to say that mom appeared to be going into death mode.  However, she had done this before.  In fact, he said mom had had two teaspoons of apple sauce earlier.  He assured me that she was not in pain and was not suffering.
After Tai Chi, Charlene took me to St. Michael's to visit mom. Chris was already there.  Mom was wide awake.  She looked at us unblinking.  Her feet were cold so I massaged them.  The physiotherapist had been there and had adjusted mom's legs.  After Chris left, Charlene and I stayed a little longer.  Usually, mom falls asleep, but today she stayed awake.  Charlene mentioned that mom's breath became odd, but that it became steady again.  We said good-bye to mom.  I told her I would be back tomorrow and we left.
At around 8:30 p.m. Charlene got a call from Chris.  I had turned my phone off because the battery was low and my phone was beeping.  Chris was frantic because he had gotten a call from St. Michael's that mom had passed away and he couldn't get in touch with me.
Charlene took me to St. Michael's and we said good-bye to mom's dead body.  She still felt warm.  Her eyes were open and they looked so small.  Her mouth was open and I could see her tongue inside.  It wasn't a good memory to have. 
The nurse gave me a list of funeral homes and told me to St. Michael's.  I went home and called the funeral home that I had selected previously.  It was on the list.  I called St. Michael's to make sure the funeral home had called.
Charlene was with me.  She called her mom.  Her mom said to call Ethel.  Ethel called the relatives and Sumi called friends. I started writing a list of people I had to notify.

No comments:

Post a Comment